A criminal conviction leaves a lasting impression on your life. In addition to the potential of jail time and hefty fines, the other repercussions, like the difficulties you face when you try to get a job or the pain you caused your family, often hurt the most. A criminal defense lawyer in Cheltenham, PA can offer the legal support you need to get through one of the trying times in your life. At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we fight to protect your rights and shield you from the harshest punishments.
We understand an accusation is not a conviction. We believe in innocent until proven guilty, so we never treat you like a criminal. As one of our clients, our number one priority is to work diligently to protect your rights and freedom, keep you out of jail, and fight to make sure you can get quickly back to your obligations. Call our firm today at 610-680-7842 to get a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
Our Firm Handles Many Types of Criminal Cases
At Mckenzie Law Firm, P.C., we have represented numerous adults and juvenile clients in a variety of misdemeanor and felony cases.
What are the different types of criminal cases?
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI): Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is one of the most common offenses.
- Domestic Violence: Everything from money problems and raising children to infidelity and layoffs can lead to domestic violence. Hitting, kicking, punching, and threatening a spouse or significant other are considered domestic violence.
- Robbery, Burglary, and Theft: Our firm handles cases that involve theft of money, retail goods, cars, jewelry, and other valuables. Burglary is theft that involves breaking into a location.
- Violent Crimes: Assaults occurs when you strike, kick, punch, or make unlawful or unwanted contact with another. Murder, kidnapping, and arson also fall into this category.
- Drug Crimes: We defend clients accused of possessing, selling, and abusing illegal drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine, as well as prescription opiates, like oxycontin and oxycodone.
Additionally, we handle cases involving traffic violations.
A criminal defense lawyer in Cheltenham, PA strives to get you outcomes that make the most sense for you and your family. We fight for rights every step of the way and work to give you the best possible representation. Call us at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. today at 610-680-7842 for a free case evaluation.
Potential Penalties for Felonies
Crimes are either felonies or misdemeanors. Felonies are the most serious offenses. Felony murder, the most serious of them all, can either be in the first degree, second-degree, or third degree. Murder in the first-degree is premeditated murder, and, in PA, it is a capital offense. A capital offense is one punishable by the death penalty. Convictions for first- and second-degree murders also may result in punishments of life in prison.
Otherwise, felonies in the state divide themselves into three categories:
- Felony 1: Crimes in this category also are known as Class A felonies and include the offenses of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and drug distribution or trafficking. If convicted of a Class A felony, you face up to 20 years in prison.
- Felony 2: Crimes that fall into this category include arson, burglary, and sexual assault. If convicted, you face up to 10 years in prison.
- Felony 3: Crimes that fall into this category include drug offenses, firearm offenses, and large thefts. If convicted, you face a punishment of up to seven years in prison.
Our mission at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. is to provide defenses that help minimize the impact a case has on you and your family. Let us begin reviewing your case, so we can help you figure out what to do next. Call us today at 610-680-7842 to get a free case consultation.
Consequences of Felony Convictions
Beyond prison, fines, and other punishments, felonies also carry other consequences. Even after you do your time and meet all other court-ordered conditions in PA, you still have limits on your freedoms. If convicted, you cannot:
- Run for public office
- Serve as a juror
- Get college financial aid or government benefits
If convicted of a violent crime, you cannot own or possess a firearm.
Additionally, felony convictions make it more difficult to get jobs, rent an apartment, and join the military.
Every case is unique, so we treat it that way. There are no one-size-fits-all defense strategies at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. We believe in personal attention and getting to the heart of every case. We believe all defendants the best possible defense, and we are here to provide it. Call our firm today at 610-680-7842 for a free case evaluation.
Our Cheltenham Criminal Defense Lawyers Have Strategies and Passion For Your Case
No lawyer can determine how a case will end because too many factors influence it. The evidence presented at trial, the way witnesses answer questions, and the decisions jurors and judges make are ultimately what factor into an outcome.
As lawyers, we cannot control these factors. What we can promise, though, is strong defense strategies and a passion for helping defendants.
Every decision can have a major impact on your case and your future. We aim to limit the impact by offering clear guidance and explanations so that you can make the best possible decisions. At our firm, your future matters to us. Let a criminal defense lawyer in Cheltenham, PA help you preserve your freedom.
Contact us at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. when you are ready to discuss your criminal defense case in Cheltenham, PA. Call us today at the McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. at 610-680-7842 to get a free case consultation.