A conviction on drug charges can result in you losing your freedom, hefty fines that put you in a financial bind, and a social stigma that carries additional non-legal consequences. You will even have a criminal record that can impact your future for the worse.
Having a drug charges lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. on your side in Collegeville can help you fight the charges against you so you stay out of jail and repair damage to your reputation. We can help you understand your legal options and stand up for you in court.
Our Collegeville criminal defense lawyer is ready to start fighting your case. We offer confidential consultations to those facing criminal charges.
Your Lawyer Can Help You Understand the Drug Charges Against You in Collegeville
Drug charges are taken seriously in Collegeville. While you can decide to represent yourself, you may find it difficult to navigate the legal process alone.
Depending on your criminal offense, you could face a range of penalties. Charges our legal team can defend you against include:
- Distribution: Charges relating to the distribution of drugs include manufacturing, selling, importing, or delivering a controlled substance.
- Sales: The selling of a controlled substance or attempt to sell a controlled substance to someone.
- Possession: Having drugs on your person or using drugs in your car, home, workplace, or another location to which you have access.
- Trafficking: Importing or transporting drugs across state lines or somewhere within the state of Pennsylvania, which could also result in federal charges.
- Manufacturing: The production, processing, compounding, or preparation of a controlled substance to distribute, transport, or sell.
- Cultivation: Growing plants that are classified as a controlled substance.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): Illegally performing an activity while under the influence of a controlled substance.
Aggravated circumstances such as a prior record, involvement of children, and violence could result in more severe charges and penalties. Our law firm will help you understand the charges against you and the potential penalties you face. We will also work to build a defense strategy to challenge the prosecution in an effort to achieve a reduction or dismissal of your charges.
Your Collegeville Drug Charges Lawyer Will Explain the Penalties You May Face
The penalties you face for drug charges will depend on which type of drug crime you were arrested for allegedly committing, if there were any aggravated circumstances, and whether you have prior offenses on your record. You could face misdemeanor charges that carry lesser penalties or felony charges that carry more severe penalties. State or federal charges can also make a difference in what penalties apply to your case.
Controlled substances have a Schedule classification according to how likely each drug can be abused. According to the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Schedule I controlled substances include heroin, marijuana, and ecstasy.
Even for a misdemeanor, you could spend years in prison. A felony charge only makes the penalties you face more severe.
Penalties you may face include:
- Inability to own a firearm
- Loss of your driver’s license
- Loss of your professional license
- Difficulty getting a loan
- Loss of parental rights
There are a wide range of consequences you may face if you are found guilty of drug charges. This is why many people choose to hire a criminal defense attorney.
Our Collegeville Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You Fight Drug Charges
It’s important to understand that an arrest and charges are not a conviction. It’s on the prosecution to meet the burden of proof in court. Until then, you are innocent until proven guilty, and you have rights that we will work to protect.
If we are handling your case, you can expect us to help you fight back by:
- Filing a motion to secure your release from jail on bail to await your court hearing.
- Investigating the circumstances of the charges against you and discovering the facts of the case.
- Evaluating the evidence the prosecution possesses and gathering evidence to counter their case against you.
- Questioning the evidence and police conduct to poke holes in the prosecution’s case.
- Building a defense strategy with your assistance, which is more convenient if you are out on bail. Failure to appear in court could result in the Montgomery County court issuing a bench warrant for the police to arrest or detain you.
- Preparing you for your appearance in court.
- Negotiating a plea deal with the prosecution to reduce the charges and potential penalties you face. We understand prosecutorial tactics because our founder is a former criminal prosecutor.
Our job is to work towards a fair outcome for you whether that means fighting in court until the jury reads a verdict or negotiating with the prosecution to obtain a plea bargain. You can accept or reject an offer and McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. will provide you with advice and walk you through the process every step of the way.
Defense Strategies Our Drug Charges Lawyer Could Employ in Your Case
There are several defenses we could offer in court on your behalf, including:
- Demonstrating that you have a medical marijuana card to justify your possession or use of the drug. Some counties and localities in Pennsylvania have relaxed marijuana laws.
- Proving you were arrested because of mistaken identity, entrapment, or the drugs were not yours.
- Showing police misconduct such as not having probable cause, violating your rights, or incorrectly executing a warrant.
- Questioning the chain of evidence.
- Arguing that the substance is not a controlled substance.
Our Drug Charges Lawyer Can Fight for You in Collegeville Today
There’s a lot at stake for you as you prepare to face the charges against you in court. Whether it’s your first offense or not, you have the right to legal representation and a competent defense. Our firm is dedicated to that fundamental right, and we want to fight for you.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. is ready to discuss your case with you and let you know how we can help you. You do not have to fight drug charges alone. Having a criminal defense attorney with experience fighting drug charges can make a difference. To get started with a consultation in Collegeville, please contact the drug charges team from our firm today.