If you were charged with a crime in Exton, Pennsylvania, it is important to consider your defense. After all, your future is dependent on the outcome of your case.
An Exton criminal defense lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., can help you sort through what happened in order to bolster your defense during this uncertain time in your life.
How a Lawyer Can Help During This Challenging Time
Being charged with a crime is very serious and could lead to life-changing events. While every case is unique and some offenses are more serious than others, even minor charges can affect your life for months or years to come. It is important for your future that you seek the best possible outcome in your case.
With so much on the line, many defendants choose to hire legal professionals to help. There are several potential benefits to having a lawyer represent you. Some of the ways our criminal defense lawyer can help includes:
- Explaining each step of the legal process, answering your questions, and offering general support
- Organizing your defense based on the facts of your case to ensure that your defense is as strong as possible
- Working with prosecutors on alternative sentencing or plea deals if they are available and applicable in your situation
- Assisting with tedious and time-consuming paperwork so that you can focus on your future during this stressful time
- Keeping you on track with any legal or filing deadlines
- Helping manage expectations about what you could expect in your case
Plea Deals and Alternative Sentences
In some circumstances, you could have the opportunity to work with prosecutors in order to receive an alternative sentence, such as community service, usually in exchange for a guilty plea. A lawyer can assist with facilitating these types of deals depending on the details of your case.
While you are not required to hire a lawyer, your future could hinge on what you choose to do next. It could be beneficial to have a strong legal team to lean on during this time.
If you have questions about the next steps in your case, an Exton criminal defense lawyer at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., could help explain what to expect moving forward.
Common Cases Criminal Defense Lawyers Cover
Criminal defense lawyers cover a wide range of cases, from minor infractions to very serious crimes. Common types of criminal cases include but are not limited to:
- Traffic crimes: Speeding tickets, parking violations, and other minor traffic infringements can lead to surprisingly high fines and possible charges. If you find yourself in financial trouble because of traffic violations, a lawyer may be able to help.
- Violent crimes: Violent crimes are unfortunately very common in this country. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) estimated that over 1.2 million violent crimes took place in the United States during 2019 alone. Violent crimes can lead to serious sentences. If you are being charged with a violent crime, you may want to consider hiring a criminal defense lawyer.
- Disorderly conduct: Disorderly conduct can encompass public intoxication, unnecessarily loud conduct, and other behavior that could be disturbing to the general public. Criminal defense lawyers commonly represent clients in cases of this nature.
- Gun violations: Many types of gun and firearm laws vary between state lines and different jurisdictions. If you were charged with any crime involving a firearm, you may want to consider strengthening your legal defense by hiring a lawyer.
- Property damage: Property damage crimes could involve a hit and run, graffiti, arson, or any other type of crime that resulted in a loss of valuable property.
- Theft: Theft can include property missing from a friend, family member, retailer, vehicle, and more. The sentences for theft charges can be particularly severe if a perpetrator has a history of similar behavior.
- Drug crimes: Drug crimes range greatly in severity. Buying, selling, transporting, or engaging in any illegal ways with drugs can lead to prison sentences and hefty fines.
- Driving under the influence: Operating a vehicle while impaired is illegal and dangerous. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 28 people a day tragically lose their lives due to drunk driving. Our defense lawyer handles DUI cases in Exton and the surrounding areas. You do have legal options.
Being charged with any crime creates a great deal of uncertainty in your life. While you cannot change the past, you can focus on your future. Consulting with a criminal defense lawyer in Exton can help you learn more about your legal options.
Factors That Could Impact Sentencing
Following a criminal charge, there are several factors that could play a role in how your case turns out. A judge may consider your previous history of criminal activity, your intentions leading up to your incident, whether other parties were involved, whether or not you feel genuine remorse for your actions, and more.
If you are facing serious charges, your future could be in jeopardy. If your charges were minor, your life could still be impacted as certain breaches of the law can affect employment eligibility and more.
Remember that being charged with a crime does not mean you will necessarily be found guilty. You have the right to present the facts and evidence of your case to defend yourself. Even if you are found guilty, how you proceed through the legal process could ultimately determine the severity of your sentencing.
Whether this is your first time facing charges or if you have had previous legal troubles, allow our Exton criminal defense attorney to analyze the details of your case and build a strong defense on your behalf. Our team will protect your legal rights.
Contact Us Today
While you are dealing with a time of great stress and uncertainty, remember that help is around the corner. The team at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. is standing by to help you figure out your legal options. Call (610) 680-7842 today for a free consultation.