Getting charged with a DUI is no laughing matter anywhere in Pennsylvania, including in Reading. You could face serious consequences that affect your freedom, financial stability, and driving privileges.
If you were recently arrested for driving under the influence, you should consider speaking with a Reading DUI lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Our lead attorney, David McKenzie, was a former criminal prosecutor. Now, he advocates for people like you.
We Will Protect You from These Hefty Consequences
According to 75 Pa. C.S.§ 3804, the penalties you could face with your DUI charge differ depending on several factors, including:
- The alcohol or substance concentration in your body at the time of the arrest
- Whether you caused an auto accident
- If you refused the breathalyzer test
- If you had prior DUI offenses
- Whether you drove a commercial vehicle at the time of your arrest
DUI Offenders Face Probation, Jail Time, and More
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PDOT) outlines these consequences for drunk driving convictions.
First-time offenders face:
- An upgraded misdemeanor
- Six months of probation
- A $300 fine
- Alcohol education programs
Second-time offenders face:
- A 12-month license suspension
- Five days to six months in jail
- $300 to $2,500 in fines
- The installation of an interlock device
Offenders with two or more previous DUI offenses face:
- A second-degree misdemeanor
- Ten days to two years in prison
- $500 to $5,000 in fines
- A 12-month license suspension
- The installation of an ignition interlock device
You could face additional penalties if you’re facing other charges in addition to drunk driving. For instance, if you drove while intoxicated with a minor child in the car, you could face child endangerment charges in addition to drunk driving.
A DUI Conviction Has More Than Legal Penalties
If you’re convicted of a DUI, you could face penalties outside of the criminal court system. Such penalties include:
- You could lose custody of your children.
- You could have difficulties applying for and obtaining certain jobs.
- You would have to disclose to employers and school admissions that you were convicted of a crime.
- You could have a hard time securing housing that requires a background check.
Do not let one mistake hurt your future. You have the right to an attorney who can champion your rights. Consider reaching out to McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. today and exploring your legal options.
Why Partner with Our DUI Defense Lawyer in Reading?
As we discussed earlier, you could end up with life-changing penalties depending on the severity of your DUI charge. When you work with McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., you can rest assured knowing we’re advocating for your future.
Here are some reasons to consider partnering with our defense team:
We Can Gather Evidence in Your Defense
Using evidence, we aim to have your DUI charge dropped, reduced, or dismissed. Some supporting information in your case could include:
- Information from the arresting officer
- The results of your blood alcohol concentration tests
- Dashcam and surveillance footage
- Eyewitness testimony
- Forensic evidence
Our investigation may find that your arrest was not conducted in good faith. For instance, the arresting officer may have failed to read your Miranda rights, or they may have failed to properly conduct a sobriety test.
If we can successfully contest the details of your arrest, we can argue for a dismissal of your case.
We Can Advocate for You in Court
Pennsylvania prosecutors have no tolerance for drunk driving. You can rest assured that the prosecution will do everything in its power to secure a “guilty” verdict. We will stand up for you in court and protect you from allegations that jeopardize your future.
Our advocacy involves:
- Taking depositions
- Obtaining and using compelling evidence
- Looking for contradictions in witnesses’ testimony
- Applying the law to your case
- Referencing your criminal record (if you have no previous convictions)
- Asserting your upstanding character
- Communicating with the prosecution on your behalf
- Advising you on what to say if you’re asked to testify
We will do everything in our power to have your charges dropped, reduced, or dismissed. Serving as your own legal advocate isn’t as easy as it sounds––and it’s not something you can learn overnight by reading some articles online. It’s in your best interest to consider the value of working with a DUI lawyer in Reading.
We Make Ourselves Accessible to Our Clients
We never want you to feel “in the dark” about your case’s progression. It’s your case, and you have the right to always know what’s going on. McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. offers a host of communication options to its clients.
You can easily reach our lead attorney, David McKenzie, by email, phone call, social media, or text message. You will always be able to connect with your lawyer when the need arises.
What Should I Do After Being Arrested for a DUI?
In addition to considering legal help, you should:
- Enroll in a substance abuse program. If you struggle with substance abuse, you have nothing to be ashamed of. By seeking treatment, not only could you support your criminal case, but you can also take steps to better your life.
- Avoid criminal activity. You don’t want to compound your pending DUI case with another criminal charge. We encourage you to avoid any situation that could result in another arrest.
- Avoid posting information online. The prosecution will look for any reason to paint your case in a bad light. If you share something online that could discredit your story, character, or another aspect of your case, this could hurt your future.
When you connect with McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we can explain what other measures could help your case. We can also address your questions and concerns as your trial draws closer.
Consult with Our DUI Defense Team Serving Reading
Facing hefty penalties can be distressing for anyone with a DUI charge. That’s where McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. comes in. We will do everything possible to combat the charges against you. We will consider your entire situation when building your defense––not just your present circumstances.
To connect with our team, call us today. We’re eager to discuss your situation and start advocating for you.