A child pornography accusation can follow you everywhere you go. You may find it difficult to secure housing, maintain a career, or remain in good standing with your friends and family. Multiple areas of your life could take a hit. However, you have legal options if you face child pornography charges.
At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we understand how a prosecutor will approach your case because our founder is a former prosecutor himself. A Pottstown child pornography lawyer from our firm can handle your case by providing a solid defense strategy.
Hiring Our Child Pornography Lawyer May Benefit Your Case in Pottstown
You may find it difficult to fight your child pornography charges alone. One benefit to hiring an attorney is that you’ll have a legal representative advocating for your rights every step of the way.
You are facing a serious charge that carries heavy legal and non-legal consequences. Having our criminal defense lawyer on your side allows you to hand complex legal tasks to someone with experience. You can expect us to:
- Investigate your case: We will investigate the circumstances of the charges against you and the evidence the prosecution possesses. Knowing as many details as possible about the charges against you will help us form a defense strategy.
- Gather evidence: Your lawyer can collect evidence and witness accounts to prove your innocence and dispute evidence the prosecution presents.
- Build a defense: From the moment we take your case, we will begin piecing together a sound defense strategy in order to obtain a dismissal of the charges or a reduction of the charges. We will closely involve you in the process of building your case, and it’s important to us that our defense strategy has your full support before we employ it.
- Negotiate a plea deal: We will negotiate with the prosecution to reach an agreement on a plea deal if it is appropriate in your case. We understand how the prosecution works, so if we can reduce the charges in your case, we will work to make it happen.
- Defend you at trial: We will represent you in court and argue your innocence in front of the jury. You can expect us to present supporting evidence and witness accounts as part of our defense strategy.
You are innocent until proven guilty, and we will stress that point in court. Child pornography charges can be devastating, but we will work to obtain a fair case outcome. If you are facing child pornography charges in Pottstown, a criminal defense attorney from our firm is ready to talk to you about your case.
How Our Child Pornography Lawyer Can Defend You in Pottstown
A lawyer from our firm has experience defending clients against such charges and we have the knowledge to devise a defense strategy on your behalf.
There are a number of possible defenses we could apply to your case, including:
- Arguing that child pornography is not yours, especially if you share your computer with others. Someone else could have easily downloaded the material without your knowledge or consent.
- Contending that you accidentally downloaded child pornography by clicking on a link in an email or website without knowing the contents you would receive.
- Maybe you mistakenly thought the pornography featured only adults and you were unaware that anyone was under 18.
- We can also argue that the police didn’t follow proper procedures when arresting you. Perhaps they did not have a proper warrant to search your home and computer or did not read you your rights.
We will work closely with you and involve you in the process. It’s important that we have your approval of any defense strategy we devise.
Pottstown Child Pornography Penalties and Repercussions
According to 18 P.A. C.S.A § 6312, you could face penalties for the following child pornography offenses:
- Producing child pornography
- Disseminating child pornography
- Viewing child pornography
If you are found guilty of any of these offenses, you could face second or third-degree felony charges. These charges are punished with:
- Second-degree felony: Up to $25,000 in fines and up to 10 years in jail
- Third-degree felony: Up to $15,000 in fines and up to seven years in jail
Other Consequences You Could Face for Child Pornography Charges
Prison time and monetary fines are not the only consequences of child pornography offenses. You may also face the requirement of having to register as a sexual predator, which means people can search the list and find your name. You may face restrictions on where you can live and what jobs you can hold.
In addition to charges in Pennsylvania, you may also face federal charges and penalties.
Aside from the legal repercussions, you also face stigmatization or shunning from the general public or your community. You may lose the support of friends and family members and have difficulty finding and keeping a romantic interest. It may be difficult for you to find a job. Even your mental and emotional health can be impacted.
You may want to hire a lawyer with experience fighting child pornography charges. Child pornography charges can negatively impact you for the rest of your life. Immediately fighting back with a robust defense gives you a solid chance to avoid legal penalties and prevent personal and professional damage.
Consult a Child Pornography Lawyer in Pottstown Today
Child pornography accusations should not be taken lightly. You risk losing your freedom, your social circle, your career, your reputation, and more. A criminal defense attorney from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can handle your legal case and work to mitigate the damages you could suffer.
We are ready to listen to you and discuss your defense. If you are facing child pornography accusations or charges, please contact us today.