If you or someone you love was arrested for firearm possession or other gun-related charges, we could help you build your defense and prepare your case for plea agreement or trial. The defense we build for you starts with listening to your version of events and reviewing the state’s evidence against you.
When our Lansdale attorney for firearm possession & other gun charges defends you, we also look for any details of your search or the arrest process to glean any details that may work in your favor. McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. never stops working on your case or fighting to minimize the potentially life-changing damage of a criminal conviction.
How a Lawyer for Firearms Possession in Lansdale will Help You
Being arrested on any firearm charge could lead to severe financial penalties and incarceration. This can limit your short- and long-term future, impair your social and community life, and disrupt your family and career. We will:
- Review your criminal history
- Carefully scrutinize your arrest
- Conduct our investigation
- Arrange beneficial plea bargains
Our gun crimes attorney in Lansdale will also clarify the state’s case, explain Pennsylvania gun laws, and make sure you know your rights and the state’s responsibilities.
We Ensure the State Meets Their Responsibilities
From the time of your arrest until the resolution of your case, the state has rules and regulations they are required to follow. When a gun charge lawyer in Lansdale represents you, we ensure the state and its representatives live up to their responsibilities. It can aid your defense and help us fight to have the charges against you dismissed altogether if:
- You were not read your rights.
- Police questioned you without your lawyer.
- Police did not have a search warrant
- Police did not have probable cause
If you inform us of any of these violations, we will use them to your advantage. They can also help us negotiate a plea bargain that leads to lighter sentences, lower fines, and a less damaging impact on subsequent background checks.
We Help You Build a Strong Defense
Legal gun possession in Pennsylvania can be complex. When we manage your case, we review potential defense strategies with you. Possible defenses to gun charges include:
- You were not aware of the presence of the gun
- The gun in question does not belong to you
- You are licensed to carry a weapon in the state
- The gun in question was deemed inoperable
Every criminal case and defendant are different, and we will treat you like an individual, not a case file. We look at your case from various aspects to decide on the best defense to present for you and fight for the outcome that causes the least disruption to your life, family, and future.
Learn More About Working with Our Law Firm
Defending yourself against the charges you face can be challenging without legal support. On our client reviews page, you can see what previous clients say about our defense team, including:
- “Deep professional knowledge, precise analysis, straightforward communication, clear explanation on all possible scenario and corresponding plans, and quick reply on emails/ calls with courteous manner.” – Linda Sun
- “With any question I had, David always made sure I had an answer within SECONDS…I truly appreciate the time that was spent to make sure that I was taken care of.” – Ariana H.
- “David McKenzie III provided me excellent service and a lot of legal knowledge regarding my case… I will definitely recommend him to anyone.” – Bruno Santana
Your gun crimes case is important to us. Our gun charge lawyer in Lansdale works as hard to defend you as we worked for each of these clients.
Penalties for Possession of a Firearm and Other Gun Charges in Pennsylvania
Our attorney for firearms possession in Lansdale is familiar with local, state, and federal gun laws. Our familiarity means our representation can make dealing with the legal system and negotiating for plea bargains more effective. We defend clients arrested for:
- Unlawful possession of a gun
- Possession of a deadly weapon
- Possession of an unregistered gun
This list is not exhaustive, and we may be able to help even if the specific gun crime you are charged with does not appear here. If you or a loved one need legal assistance and support in your fight for justice and fairness, we can help you build a credible defense and negotiate a favorable outcome.
Misdemeanor Gun Crime Penalties
In some cases, first offenses and other gun-related crimes might be charged as misdemeanors. Misdemeanors carry the following penalties:
- A third-degree misdemeanor is punishable up to $5,000 in fines and a sentence of up to 90 days
- A second-degree misdemeanor is punishable up to $5,000 in fines and a sentence of up two years
- A first-degree misdemeanor is punishable up to $10,000 in fines and a sentence of up to five years
Some gun crimes are charged at the felony level with stronger penalties. For example, if a gun crime involves crossing state lines, you might be charged at the federal level.
Felony Gun Crime Penalties
If the state charges you with a felony, you could face the following fines, sentence lengths, or both:
- A third-degree felony is punishable by a fine of up to $15,000 and a sentence of up to seven years
- Second-degree felony of up to $25,000 and a sentence of up to ten years
We will help you avoid the highest fines and lengthiest sentences.
Legal Gun Possession in Lansdale
There are circumstances under which you can possess or carry a gun in the state. According to 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 6106(b), you can carry if:
- Your business involves the manufacture or repair of firearms
- Your gun is unloaded, securely wrapped, and being taken for repairs
- You are training dogs in the allotted dog training season
Other circumstances might enable you to legally possess a firearm. We will identify any factors that prove your gun possession was lawful.
Contact Us to Get Started Building Your Case Against Gun Charges Today
If you or a loved one has been charged with firearm possession & other gun charges, our Lansdale criminal defense attorney can help. Find out how by calling (610) 991-7219 to reach McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. today.
Get started building your defense to your firearm charges today.