Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious charge, but the Lower Merion police blotter will show you it is one many drivers face. While this charge can be life-changing, with a Lower Merion DUI lawyer on your side, you can work to make the best of a bad situation. We can often mitigate the impact and minimize the disruption a DUI arrest has on a client’s life.
At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we work with clients facing a DUI or driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge. Do you need help fighting a potential conviction in Lower Merion or elsewhere in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania? Are you wondering if you can beat your DUI?
What Penalties Might I Face if Convicted of a DUI in Lower Merion?
According to Pa. Act 24 § 1545, anyone who drives a vehicle in Pennsylvania must consent to a blood, breath, or urine test if law enforcement believes they may be intoxicated behind the wheel. If the driver refuses to submit to testing, their driver’s license will be suspended for one year.
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, there are three levels of DUI in Pennsylvania:
- General impairment (.08 to .099% BAC)
- High BAC (.10 to .159% BAC)
- Highest BAC (.16% and up)
The higher your BAC was at the time of your arrest and the more prior DUI convictions you have, the more severe penalties you may face. Potential penalties are as follows:
At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we know these penalties are harsh, and you may feel worried or even hopeless as you imagine what may happen to you in the worst-case scenario. However, when you hire our law firm, we want you to know that all hope is not lost. We will fight aggressively for you to achieve the best possible outcome and avoid as many of these penalties as possible.
Potential DUI Defenses
Depending on the circumstances of your arrest, we may use multiple defenses in your case. We will work to uncover evidence of any mistakes by law enforcement or violations of your rights. Some of the defenses we may employ include:
- The police did not have a valid reason for pulling you over
- You were arrested without probable cause
- The BAC testing was inaccurate
- You were not driving a vehicle at the time of your intoxication
Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) Program
Pennsylvania offers an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program to help first-time offenders get their licenses back as soon as possible and have their criminal records expunged. This is a far better outcome than jail time. According to the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, the ARD program may require you to:
- Perform community service
- Serve six to 12 months of probation
- Attend Alcohol Highway Safety School
- Meet other requirements set by a judge
If we determine this is the best possible outcome in your situation, we will plead your case to the District Attorney and do everything possible to help you qualify for ARD.
How Can a Lower Merion DUI Lawyer Help You?
Our goal is to minimize the impact a DUI arrest has on your everyday life. The best way to do that is to prevent the court from convicting you. We will work to avoid a conviction in several ways, depending on the facts of your case. Our approach may include:
- Asking the prosecution to drop the charges due to lack of evidence, improper conduct by police, unreliable or improper evidence collection, or other reasons.
- Negotiating a plea deal for reduced charges
- Taking the case to court and presenting your case to a jury
We are familiar with the prosecutors, judges, and others involved in trying Lower Merion DUI cases, and we understand how to navigate the process. With our DUI lawyer on your side, you can feel confident we will do everything possible to protect your rights and help you beat your Lower Merion Township DUI.
What McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Offers Those Facing a DUI Charge
Our firm offers each client a variety of benefits, including:
- A lead attorney with prosecutorial experience: Lead attorney David McKenzie’s legal background includes time spent as a prosecutor. This experience comes in handy when negotiating deals for DUI clients and battling with prosecutors in cases like yours.
- End-to-end legal guidance: Many of our clients have never faced a DUI charge before. They are at a complete loss regarding their defense and whether to seek a settlement or complete dismissal of the charge. We offer end-to-end legal counsel so that you never have to decide without our advice.
- Hope of a positive outcome: No matter how devastating a DUI charge may seem, rest assured that your life will continue. We will seek the most favorable outcome possible. We know what you’re going through, and we are here to assist you in this time of need.
We are completely committed to client service. As our client, you’ll be able to reach our team whenever you need us. You can text, call, or email Attorney McKenzie with any questions during your case.
Former DUI Clients Explain How We Helped Them
We have successfully defended many clients facing DUI charges, and several of those clients and our colleagues have documented their experience with our firm. Here are just a few examples:
- “David works magic. He managed to get my DUI from a second offense down to a first offense. I could have been serving 3 months in jail but managed to avoid that because of David. He is very reliable and responds promptly. Would highly recommend him to anyone.” – Corinne D’Angelo, former client
- “David McKenzie is my go-to choice for all things DUI and criminal in Pennsylvania. As a DUI and criminal defense attorney in Virginia, I rigorously screen who I send clients to when they have an out-of-state charge. David is at the top of my list. His tenacity and knowledge of the law are unmatched.” – Stephen Pfeiffer, legal colleague
- “David is such a prolific and excellent attorney. Anyone accused of DUI or other crimes has to give this law office a call before anyone else, just to set the bar and expectations. You will not be sorry you called him. Highly recommended.” – Martin Judnich, former client
- “It gives me great pleasure to write this recommendation about McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. and especially about Mr. McKenzie for his excellent representation in my recent DUI situation. I strongly suggest to anyone who finds themselves in a DUI situation that their first call be to McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Despite having many clients he makes you feel like you’re his only one. I have to believe that all his clientele share this sentiment. Without hesitation, I highly recommend Mr. McKenzie to anyone who finds themselves in a DUI situation!”” – Susan G., former client
These testimonials show what our firm is capable of. When it comes to DUI cases in Montgomery County, we know what is on the line. We fight hard for our clients in each DUI case we handle.
Contact McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. for Help Today
At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we know how stressful a DUI charge can be. Let us help you understand your legal options today. Call (610) 680-7842 to schedule a no-risk case evaluation today. Our Lower Merion DUI lawyer can determine which strategies we can use to help you beat your DUI or mitigate the effects of your arrest.