Whether it’s a misdemeanor or a felony, any charge relating to drug crimes can have a negative impact on your life. If you face drug charges in Montgomery County, having an attorney on your side can make a difference. A West Norriton drug crimes lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can fight your case for you.
You could avoid jail and limit the amount of damage done to your reputation. You are not alone, our West Norriton criminal defense lawyer will fight for you.
Your Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help You Understand the Types of Drug Crimes in West Norriton
The type of drug crimes you face charges for and the circumstances of your case will determine the severity of the penalties the court could hand down in the event of a conviction. There are many types of drug crimes that can result in criminal charges, including
- Possession: Being caught using drugs or having drugs on your person, in your car, and somewhere else with access.
- Distribution: Distribution includes selling, manufacturing, importing, and/or delivering controlled substances.
- Manufacturing: Producing, processing, compounding, or preparing a drug or substance.
- Cultivation: Illegally growing plants that have classification as a controlled substance.
- Driving under the influence: Operating a motor vehicle or performing an activity while impaired by drug use.
- Sale: Selling drugs or an attempt to sell drugs to others.
- Trafficking: Illegal transport of drugs.
The charges against you could be more severe if children were involved, if there was any violence, or if you have prior offenses on your record. A drug crimes lawyer from our firm can help you understand the charges against you in West Norriton so you are not in the dark and can prepare for your court appearance.
Understanding the Penalties You Face With a West Norriton Drug Crimes Lawyer on Your Side
The penalties you face for an alleged drug crime depend on a number of different factors. Our lawyers are ready to guide you through what likely feels like a confusing and difficult time. We can build a strong defense on your behalf, whether you suffered a misdemeanor or felony charge as well as whether you face only state charges or federal charges.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) classifies controlled substances into Schedules according to the potential for abuse, which will also impact the penalty a court could hand down. If the court convicts you, you could spend up to 15 years in prison and pay a maximum $25,000 fine.
You also may have to navigate societal stigma and damage to your reputation. You could lose your job or your professional license. These non-legal penalties could damage your livelihood and relationships with family and friends. You could also have a criminal record that follows you wherever you go. An attorney from our firm may be able to help you mitigate the damage from non-legal penalties and work to secure a fair legal outcome in your case.
How a Drug Crimes Lawyer Can Benefit Your Case in West Norriton
An attorney with experience handling drug crime cases can serve as an advocate who looks out for your own best interests and protects your rights. You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The burden of proof is on the prosecution, and we have unique insight into how the prosecution will approach your case because our founder is a former criminal prosecutor.
Our goal is to pick apart the prosecution’s case against you to obtain a reduction or dismissal of the charges. To that end, you can expect us to do the following:
- Conduct an investigation of our own to ascertain the nature of the charges against you.
- Review the evidence the prosecution has against you and collect evidence to weaken their case.
- Challenge the prosecution’s case by questioning the evidence and presenting our own, such as witness testimony and physical evidence.
- Seek your release on low or no bail so you can wait for your day in court at home instead of inside a holding cell.
- Prepare you for your appearance in court, including recommending appropriate attire.
- Communicate with you regularly to provide you with updates on your case.
- Build a defense strategy to challenge the prosecution, which you can play an active role in.
- Negotiate a plea deal with the prosecution with the goal of reducing the penalties you face or reducing the seriousness of the charges such as moving from a felony charge down to a misdemeanor. You have the ability to accept or reject an offer.
- Mitigate the potential non-legal damage, including by helping you retain your professional license.
You have the right to have a lawyer represent you in court. A drug crimes lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. is ready to fight for your freedom and protect your rights from violation. We are not afraid to aggressively defend our clients.
Strategies a Drug Crimes Lawyer Could Use to Defend You in West Norriton
We can implement a number of different strategies to defend you in court, including:
- Challenging the chain of evidence
- Mistaken identity
- Drugs were not yours
- Violations of your rights by police
- Questioning if the police had probable cause
- The substance was not a controlled substance
- You have a medical marijuana card
Building a solid defense strategy is about challenging the prosecution’s case during the preliminary hearing to avoid trial. Should your case go to trial, we will build a defense to present to a jury in an effort to obtain a verdict in your favor.
Contact a Drug Crimes Law Firm to Fight For You in West Norriton Today
Legal representation provides you with a fighting chance to defend yourself in court against the charges you face for alleged drug crimes. The prosecution will not go easy on you, but a defense attorney from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can fight for you and even the playing field in court.
If you face drug charges, please do not hesitate to reach out to our firm to connect with a drug crimes attorney to discuss your case in West Norriton today. You have the right to an attorney, and we encourage you to exercise this right.