If the police pull you over and perform a breathalyzer test and you blow a .08%, this is grounds for a DUI charge. If you face a DUI charge, our East Norriton DUI defense lawyer may be able to help you by fighting for a reduction of the penalties you face.
An East Norriton criminal defense lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. understands how the prosecution works. We are dedicated to seeking a fair case outcome for our clients, helping them avoid jail and other possible consequences of a DUI crime.
Your Defense Lawyer Can Explain How a DUI Works in East Norriton
DUI stands for “driving under the influence.” The state of Pennsylvania considers a DUI to be a serious offense.
The legal limit for a DUI conviction is a .08% blood alcohol content (BAC), according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). If you’re pulled over, you typically must comply with a breathalyzer test or you face automatic suspension of your license. If you blow a .08% or higher on the test, the police will likely arrest you and place you in jail. The prosecution will use the results of this test as evidence against you at a preliminary hearing.
Our legal team in East Norriton will work hard to defend your rights. Even if you were arrested, you may have legal options. We can explain more when you hire our law firm.
Our DUI Defense Lawyer Will Inform You of the Potential Penalties You Face After an East Norriton DUI Offense
It’s understandable that you have questions and concerns about the potential penalties you face for a DUI should the court convict you. Our top priority is to reduce the severity of the penalties, including working for alternatives to jail and fines, which means negotiating a plea deal with the prosecution. If your case goes to trial, we will build a defense to present in court.
The types of penalties you face for a DUI in East Norriton include:
- Jail time: The amount of time you could spend in jail depends on whether you have previous DUI offenses. If this is your first DUI charge, you face a maximum of six months in jail, but you could serve only a minimum of two days. Each additional offense carries a stiffer penalty. For example, a fourth DUI could carry a sentence of one year in jail.
- Monetary fines: Your sentence may not just include losing your freedom for a period, but it could also penalize you financially with a fine ranging from a minimum of $500 up to a maximum of $10,000 depending on if you’re a first-time offender or a multiple-time offender.
- Community service: You may likely have to complete several hours or days of community service, which means volunteering your time with a charity or organization that qualifies.
- Drug and alcohol assessment: You could be required by the court to submit yourself for drug and alcohol assessment, which includes evaluation, treatment, and testing.
- Educational courses: The court could order you to complete drug and alcohol highway safety school, where you will learn about alcohol and metabolism, as well as how to exercise better judgment before driving.
- Suspension of your license: While you may not lose your license if you are a first-time offender, you could lose it for up to 18 months, especially if you have prior DUI offenses on your record.
- Non-legal penalties: You could lose your professional license and job, suffer damage to your relationships, and have a criminal record that impacts your reputation for years to come.
A DUI defense lawyer from our firm will prepare you for the possible penalties you face so you will have an idea of what to expect. McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. will fight for a fair case outcome for you in East Norriton.
Our Defense Lawyer Can Help You Fight DUI Charges and Avoid a Criminal Record in East Norriton
You are innocent until proven guilty, and you have the right to retain legal representation. With our law firm in East Norriton on your side, you can expect us to benefit your case in the following ways:
- We will investigate the charges against you to gain a factual understanding of the circumstances of the stop by police and their decision to charge and/or arrest you.
- We will gather evidence to challenge the prosecution’s case against you.
- We will file a motion seeking a low bail amount for your release to await your court hearing at home instead of in jail.
- We will build a defense that could include challenging the breathalyzer and chemical testing results and questioning whether the police had probable cause to stop you or arrest you.
- We will work to negotiate a plea deal with the prosecution for lesser charges or an alternative such as the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program.
You deserve legal representation that provides an aggressive defense on your behalf. Our East Norriton criminal defense attorney will work to keep you out of jail so you can continue with your daily activities.
Contact Our East Norriton DUI Defense Law Firm to Defend You Against Criminal Charges
Our team of defense attorneys has the kind of dedication and professionalism to protect your rights and fight for you. A DUI charge can negatively impact your life. We not only want to handle your defense to prevent you from dealing with legal penalties, but we also want to mitigate the potential social stigma and non-legal penalties that you face as well.
With McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. on your side, you get competent legal representation and an advocate standing up for your best interests. If you face a DUI charge in East Norriton, please do not hesitate to reach out to us to see how a DUI defense lawyer from our firm can help you today.