A charge is not a conviction, and you are innocent until proven guilty. We can defend you against your criminal charges and advise you on your legal options if you were accused of a drug crime. The right to legal representation is fundamental, and our Plymouth Meeting criminal defense lawyer is ready to fight your case for you.
A Plymouth Meeting drug charges lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can help you fight your criminal offense so you can retain your freedom and prevent damage to your reputation.
Types of Drug Charges Our Lawyer Can Fight Against in Plymouth Meeting
Drug charges do not just focus on usage or possession. There are many activities involving drugs or controlled substances that are illegal and can result in state or federal charges ranging from a misdemeanor to a felony in Pennsylvania.
Activities that could result in drug charges include:
- Possession or use of a controlled substance
- Manufacturing, producing, processing, compounding, or preparing a controlled substance
- Distributing a controlled substance, including selling, transporting, and trafficking
- Growing or cultivating a plant for processing a controlled substance
- Performing an activity such as driving while under the influence of a controlled substance
Police require probable cause to arrest you on drug charges. This could mean they see or smell drugs, observe you violating laws, find drugs during a legal search, or perform chemical testing that comes back with positive results. The burden of proof to justify taking your case to trial and getting a conviction is on the prosecution, and the standard is high.
A criminal defense attorney from our firm with experience handling these types of cases may be able to help you by crafting a defense strategy to challenge the prosecution.
Your Drug Charges Lawyer Can Prepare You for the Legal Penalties You May Face If Convicted
Depending on the seriousness of the charges against you, and whether there are any aggravated circumstances such as the involvement of minors or violence, you could face years in jail and other legal penalties as well as non-legal consequences.
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and Department of Justice (DOJ) classify controlled substances into Schedules, with Schedule I and II drugs resulting in more severe penalties.
Penalties you could face include:
- Years in jail
- A monetary fine
- Community service
- Drug and alcohol assessment
- Inability to own a firearm
- Loss of your driver’s license
- Loss of a professional license
- Loss of your parental rights
- Difficulty obtaining loan approval
- Damage to relationships with friends and family
- Damage to your reputation
- A criminal record
It’s possible to obtain a reduction of the charges against you so that the penalties you face are not as severe. The goal for us is to secure a fair case outcome for you. You don’t have to fight drug charges alone when you can have a defense lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. fighting for you.
How a Drug Charges Lawyer from Our Firm Can Fight For You in Plymouth Meeting
The criminal justice system is complex and cases involving drugs can be challenging, especially if you intend to represent yourself, which we caution against. The prosecuting attorney is working to convict you and may seek a tough sentence to set an example. The prosecutor likely has experience prosecuting defendants, so having your own lawyer who has experience defending against charges could benefit you.
If you obtain our legal services, we will work your case by:
- Investigating the charges against you and the circumstances of your arrest.
- Filing a motion for bail to secure your release from jail.
- Collecting evidence for your defense such as witness statements and physical evidence.
- Reviewing and evaluating the prosecution’s evidence against you.
- Working out a plea bargain with the prosecution to reduce the charges and soften the penalties. You can accept or reject a plea offer.
- Preparing you for your appearance in court, including explaining what to expect and providing you with appropriate clothing.
- Challenging the prosecution’s case at the preliminary hearing and presenting your defense to a jury at trial.
- Building a defense strategy that is unique to your case.
We want to fight for you and secure an appropriate case outcome. One way we can help you is by appearing in court on the day of your hearing so the judge will not have to issue a bench warrant for your arrest or detainment in Montgomery County. You could lose your bail and end up being held in jail, robbing you of your opportunity to play a role in building your defense.
Possible Strategies a Drug Charges Lawyer Can Use to Defend You in Plymouth Meeting
Our founder’s experience as a former criminal prosecutor helps us understand how the prosecution might handle your case. We are not afraid to put this insight to use as we build your defense, which could involve:
- Proving that the drugs were not yours
- Arguing that the drug is not a controlled substance
- Demonstrating that you hold a medical marijuana card
- Showing that you are a victim of entrapment
- Bringing evidence of mistaken identity
- Challenging evidence such as drug testing
- Questioning the chain of evidence
Discuss Your Case With Our Drug Charges Law Firm in Plymouth Meeting Today
Drug charges are not something to be taken lightly, which is why our law firm is ready to advocate for you. It’s your right to have an attorney on your side, and we are ready to let you know more about how we can help you.
If you are facing criminal charges relating to drugs, we may be able to help you enter the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program, especially if this is your first offense. To talk to McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. about your case, please contact our team in Plymouth Meeting today.