A DUI conviction could change every part of your life. You may have trouble securing a job, housing, or loans. Not to mention people in your social life may look at you differently. That’s why many people facing criminal charges decide to hire a criminal defense lawyer in Plymouth Meeting.
With an understanding of how the prosecution handles DUI cases, a DUI defense lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can build a robust defense and challenge the case against you in court in Plymouth Meeting.
Your Defense Lawyer Can Explain the Severity of Your DUI Charge in Plymouth Meeting
DUI is short for “driving under the influence” of alcohol or drugs, a crime that Pennsylvania law enforcement takes seriously due to the number of tragedies that occur on our roads and highways due to drunk driving every year.
Just four drinks may be enough to put you at or over the legal blood alcohol content (BAC) limit of .08 percent, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). Police may use a Breathalyzer test or other chemical testing to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC), which they can use as probable cause to arrest you. You must comply with a Breathalyzer test, or you face the automatic suspension of your license, but you can refuse to comply with a field sobriety test without consequence.
Facing a DUI charge and a possible conviction can be frightening. You may be worrying about losing your freedom and how a DUI will impact your future. A DUI defense lawyer from our firm can handle your case, work to keep you out of jail, and mitigate some of the damage a DUI could cause you outside of court.
Your Criminal Defense Attorney Can Prepare You for the Possible Penalties of a DUI Charge
The most pressing concern for you after a DUI charge is the penalties you may face if the court convicts you. We certainly sympathize with this concern, and we want to prepare you for every possibility:
- You could face jail time depending on the severity of the charge against you, your prior record, and aggravating circumstances.
- You could face a hefty fine.
- You could face a suspension of your driver’s license for months.
- You could have to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
- You could have to complete community service, drug and alcohol highway safety school courses, and drug and alcohol assessment that includes testing, evaluation, and treatment.
- You could lose your job and/or your professional license.
- You could suffer damage to relationships and your reputation.
- You could have a criminal record that has a lasting impact on your future.
If you fail to appear in court, you could face jail if the judge issues a bench warrant for your arrest or detainment in Montgomery County, including Plymouth Meeting. Our DUI defense lawyer can fight for a reduction or dismissal of the charges against you, work to reduce the severity of the penalties you face, and mitigate some potential non-legal damage.
Our Lawyer Can Build a Defense Against Plymouth Meeting DUI Charges
Your defense is our top priority and keeping you out of jail is the goal. To build your defense, it’s important for us to establish the facts of your case so we can develop a strategy that works best for your circumstances. If you obtain our legal services to work for you, we will:
- Investigate the incident that resulted in the police arresting you and charging you with DUI.
- Gather evidence such as witness statements, video footage, test results, and police reports.
- File a motion to secure your release on bail so you don’t have to wait for your court hearing in jail.
- Prepare you for your appearance in court.
- Build a defense to challenge the prosecution, including questioning the chain of evidence, questioning the accuracy of the breathalyzer and chemical testing, and questioning if the police had probable cause to pull you over or arrest you.
- Negotiate a plea deal with the prosecution to reduce the charges for a lesser penalty, which you can accept or reject.
- Present your case to a jury to obtain a fair verdict.
The prosecution will seek to take your case to trial during a preliminary hearing while we work to weaken their case against you to avoid that outcome. They may also seek to convict you and recommend a tough sentence. We want a fair case outcome for you, which is why we will use our knowledge of prosecutorial tactics as we fight your case. A DUI defense lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. is ready to discuss your case with you and begin the process of developing your defense strategy.
Your DUI Defense Lawyer May Be Able to Get You into the ARD Program in Plymouth Meeting
If this is your first DUI offense, you may qualify for the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program, which would keep you out of jail and on a path toward treatment and rehabilitation.
In this program, you would only be able to drive to locations such as your home, school, a medical facility, and your job. You would also have an ignition interlock device on your vehicle that will prevent it from starting if there’s any alcohol in your system. This is just one of the alternative penalties our criminal defense lawyer can seek for you to help you avoid jail time.
Discuss Your Case With Our Plymouth Meeting DUI Defense Team Today
Our firm has experience handling DUI cases regardless if this is your first offense or if you have prior offenses. We work to keep you out of jail, and we will work to achieve that goal by building a defense strategy to adequately challenge the prosecution.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. wants to fight for you because you are innocent until proven guilty, and you have legal rights. If you face a DUI charge in Plymouth Meeting, please call the DUI defense team from our firm to learn more about how we can help you today.