You’re facing serious drug charges that could send you to prison and take away everything you hold dear, including your job, freedom, and community ties. But you don’t have to accept that as your new reality. A Ridley drug crimes lawyer can help you fight the charges and defend your rights.
A Ridley criminal defense lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm can build a defense to challenge the prosecution’s case against you and potentially secure a dismissal or reduction of the drug-related charges you face.
A Drug Crimes Lawyer Can Build Your Defense in Ridley
You’re in a holding cell because the police arrested you on drug charges. As you await your first court hearing, where the judge will set bail and the prosecution will make a case to take you to trial, your top priority may be obtaining legal representation from a drug crimes lawyer.
It’s a good idea. The legal system is complex, and the stakes are too high to face without an attorney. Not only could you face state charges, but you could also face federal drug charges.
Your whole future is on the line. If you hire a Ridley drug crimes attorney from our criminal defense team to handle your case, you can expect that we will:
- Protect your rights: We will work to determine if the police violated your rights during your arrest and defend you against further violations because you’re innocent until proven guilty.
- Investigate the charges: We will investigate the criminal charges against you and the circumstances of your case to ascertain the facts. We will also review the prosecution’s evidence against you.
- Collect evidence: We will gather evidence and interview witnesses to challenge the case against you and prove your innocence.
- Negotiate a plea deal: We may use our knowledge of how prosecutors work to negotiate for reduced charges against you and lesser penalties. You can choose to accept or reject a plea deal.
- Work for low or no bail: We will fight to keep your bail low, so you can afford to get out of jail while your case progresses. Your freedom is important, so you can spend time with loved ones and actively participate in building your defense.
- Build your defense: We can build a defense strategy to use in court, carefully tailoring it to fit your case. We will do all we can to demonstrate to the jury that the prosecution has a weak case.
- Prevent or repair damage: We will work to mitigate damage that drug charges can cause you outside of the courtroom, including the loss of your professional licenses and damage to your reputation.
- Communicate with you: We will stay in touch and provide regular status updates on your case. If you do not understand something or have questions, let us know so we can help.
The prosecution has one goal: to convince the jury to convict you on drug charges. Our goal is to defend you to the best of our ability and counter the prosecution’s case. You don’t have to stand alone. Your Ridley drug charges lawyer will stand by your side.
Defense Strategies Your Drug Crimes Lawyer May Use in Ridley
Your criminal defense lawyer may be able to use several defenses in court on your behalf. Some of the defenses we may use include:
- The drugs were not yours.
- The police did not serve a warrant correctly.
- The arresting officer violated your rights.
- The police had no probable cause to arrest you.
- You have a medical exemption to possess marijuana.
- You’re a victim of entrapment.
- The substance is not a controlled substance.
Defending you is not just about offering an explanation or alternative events; it’s about building that argument by presenting evidence and witness testimony supporting it. You can play a role in your defense by helping us find evidence and witnesses, which is why securing your release on bail is important.
Penalties for Drug Crimes in Ridley
Pennsylvania and the federal government take drug crimes very seriously. According to The Controlled Substances, Drugs, Device, and Cosmetic Act, illegal drug possession, manufacture, or distribution can carry a sentence of up to 15 years in prison and a $250,000 fine, depending on the circumstances of your case.
If you already have prior drug charges or previously committed an act of violence, both will likely affect how the judge sentences you. It also matters whether you face felony or misdemeanor charges.
According to the Department of Justice (DOJ), drugs are divided into Schedules based on the likelihood of abuse. Schedule I and Schedule II drugs have the highest potential for abuse and include:
- Marijuana (decriminalized in some Pennsylvania jurisdictions)
You may also face consequences outside of the legal system. You could suffer damage to your reputation, the loss of your professional license and job, and damage to your relationships with family and friends. Obtaining legal representation from a Ridley drug charges attorney may give you a fighting chance to continue living your life as you know it.
Will Your Drug Crimes Case Go To Trial?
It’s entirely possible to avoid a trial if the prosecution agrees to drop the charges or agrees to a plea deal. However, if your case does go to trial, we will present your defense to a jury and try to convince them of your innocence.
Get Help From a Ridley Drug Crimes Lawyer Today
The stakes are too high to simply trust that the system will work in your favor. You have the right to have an attorney represent you, and we strongly urge you to exercise it. A Ridley drug lawyer can build a defense on your behalf and challenge the evidence the prosecution brings.