A drug crime of any degree can throw your life into disarray. An effective defense should be your sole priority right now, as your freedom, financial stability, and reputation may be at stake.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. represents those who have been charged with drug crimes, including misdemeanor and felony offenses. A Reading drug crimes lawyer from our firm will seek the best available legal outcome for you.
Legal Penalties You May Face For A Drug Crime In Reading
The legal penalties you are facing will depend on the specific offenses you’ve been charged with. Pennsylvania GA § 923 details sentencing guidelines for crimes of varying degrees:
- First-degree summary offense: Fine of $250 or imprisonment not exceeding 90 days.
- Second-degree summary offense: Fine of $150 or imprisonment not exceeding 20 days.
- Third-degree summary offense: Fine of $75.
- Fourth-degree summary offense: Fine of $25.
- Third-degree misdemeanor: Fine of between $250 and $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding 90 days, or both.
- Second-degree misdemeanor: Fine of between $500 and $5,000, or imprisonment not exceeding two years, or both.
- First-degree misdemeanor: Fine of between $1,500 and $10,000, or imprisonment not exceeding five years, or both.
- Third-degree felony: Fine of between $2,500 and $15,000, or imprisonment not exceeding seven years, or both.
- Second-degree felony: Fine of between $5,000 and $25,000, or imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, or both.
Most drug-related offenses rise to the level of a misdemeanor, at a minimum. You may be facing felony charges, which come with even more serious legal consequences. Some factors that could enhance the severity of your charges include:
- Possessing a large quantity of illegal drugs (by Pennsylvania’s standards)
- Possessing a drug that Pennsylvania (or federal authorities) classify as especially dangerous
- Intending to deliver, or delivering, drugs to another party
- Possessing illegal drugs in a school zone, or on a premises where children are present
- Possessing one or more weapons while also possessing illegal drugs
- Prior convictions for a drug crime
Drug laws in Pennsylvania can be complicated. Rather than getting into the details of Reading’s drug statutes, we can review the details of your case.
Non-Legal Consequences Of A Drug Crime Conviction
Our drug crimes attorneys know all too well: Those convicted of a drug crime won’t just face legal penalties. Your punishment won’t end once you’ve paid your fine, served your time, or completed probation or parole. Being convicted of a drug crime may also:
- Result in a felony conviction, which may be in the public record for years, or forever
- Affect your parental rights, serving as a strike against you during custody proceedings
- Make it difficult for you to obtain certain jobs
- Reduce your earning ability
- Make it difficult to obtain quality housing
- Make your life more difficult, reduce your quality of life, and cause significant mental health problems
These are significant consequences, and you want to avoid them if possible. Hiring a lawyer experienced in drug crime defense may be your first step.
A Reading drug crimes lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. will explain everything you must know about the charges against you (or a loved one). We will then build your defense and work towards a resolution that you can accept.
How A Reading Drug Crimes Lawyer From McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Can Help You
Criminal defense is what we do. Our team creates a personalized defense strategy for each client we represent and will do the same for you. We generally assist those accused of drug crimes by:
- Helping you understand the case against you: Our clients are those with the most at stake. We want to understand that you’re fully aware of the case against you. When it comes time to decide whether to plead or take your case to trial, you’ll be empowered to make that decision.
- Remaining available to answer your questions: Our clients can access attorney McKenzie and the rest of the team whenever they need them. Whether through phone calls, emails, text messaging, or in-office visits, you will receive the answers you need when you need them.
- Setting expectations about your case outcome: The details of each case are entirely different. Once we review your case details and collect evidence, we’ll explain our target outcome for your case. Whether we advise seeking a plea bargain or fighting your charges, you will have a say in our case strategy.
We will handle all of the legal and extralegal requirements of your case. Focus on your well-being and loved ones, and we’ll lead your defense in Reading.
Testimonials From Grateful Clients
Those facing criminal charges often need legal help the most. When our firm delivers for our clients, those clients show their appreciation through testimonials like these:
“David is an amazing lawyer and professional. From our first meeting, he was responsive and listened to all of our worries and fears. He doesn’t judge you for the reason you ended up needing his services. He is incredibly knowledgeable and has an unparalleled understanding of the judicial system. He has a respected reputation with prosecutors, who trust that he is speaking the truth about his clients. He was able to negotiate a significantly reduced sentence for our son due to his experience and professionalism.” – Caitlin Fitzgerald, parent of former client
“David and his firm were amazing. I couldn’t have asked for any better representation. They answered emails all hours of the day and I never waited more than three hours for a response. Happy I went with them and will always recommend them.” – Ed McCaney, former client
We have earned many more testimonials like these. Let us provide a similar brand of dedicated legal representation for you.
Call McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Today About Your Drug Crimes Case In Reading
You can count on the state of Pennsylvania pursuing criminal penalties that could turn your life upside down. You can also count on a Reading drug crimes lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. to work hard for the best possible outcome in your case.
Do not wait to retain our services. Building a defense takes time, and we’ll use the entire window that you provide us. Call McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. today about your case.