If you’ve been accused of theft in Reading, you could face stiff criminal penalties. Hiring a lawyer that you trust is the first step in mounting an effective defense.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. offers its services, providing an attorney with experience defending those accused of theft. We will fight for the best possible outcome in your criminal case.
Legal Penalties You May Face For Alleged Theft In Reading
Pennsylvania Criminal Code § 3903 explains how theft offenses are graded. The precise nature of the allegation against you, and relevant considerations like your criminal history (or lack thereof) may affect the legal penalties you’re facing.
Potential penalties for a theft offense include:
- For a first-degree felony theft offense: Up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000
- For a second-degree felony theft offense: Up to ten years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000
- For a third-degree felony theft offense: Up to seven years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000
- For a first-degree misdemeanor theft offense: Up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000
- For a second-degree misdemeanor theft offense: Up to two years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000
- For a third-degree misdemeanor theft offense: Up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500
The monetary value of stolen items is the primary factor in how your alleged offense will be graded, and the legal penalties that you may face. The state of Pennsylvania views specific theft crimes, like theft committed in a disaster zone or receipt of a stolen firearm, particularly seriously.
Extra-Legal Consequences You May Be Facing
Pennsylvania’s stern legal approach to theft crimes means that you could be facing significant fines and potential jail or prison time. If you suffer either of these consequences, then legal consequences may just be the start of your hardship.
In addition to possible fines and confinement, you may also:
- Carry the weight and stigma of a felony conviction, if your theft crime rises to the felony level
- Have difficulty gaining employment, which may add to the financial stress that you feel from fines and imprisonment
- Lose parental rights
- Face discrimination when applying to rent or purchase an apartment or home
- Suffer psychological and emotional distress because of these conviction-related consequences
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. knows that our clients are people, first and foremost. Our criminal defense attorneys will show you compassion throughout the duration of your case. We will also fight tirelessly for the best case outcome, as we know that a conviction can affect not just you, but also your loved ones.
Once you fully comprehend what penalties you are facing, hiring a Reading theft crimes lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. may become a clear decision. You have much to lose, and our firm will aim to ensure that you don’t lose.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Will Provide A Passionate Defense In Reading
Criminal defense attorneys are all that stand between their clients and serious legal consequences. This makes your choice of attorney an immensely important one. You may be looking for a lawyer who:
- Has handled theft crime cases successfully before—preferably lots of them
- Has a reputation among former clients for active communication, passionate defense, competence, and results
- Has the in-house resources to provide a capable defense, including the ability to hire experts, conduct full investigations, and prepare you for any legal proceeding you may face
- Measures their own success by their client’s success
These criteria describe attorney David C. McKenzie and his team at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. We will set a clear goal for your case—in some cases, seeking a dismissal or not guilty verdict makes sense, while a plea agreement is appropriate in other cases. Once you and our team agree to a goal, we’ll work hard to hit the mark.
Client Testimonials For McKenzie Law, P.C.
Reading about the experiences of former clients—who may have been in circumstances like yours—may help you understand our firm’s value. Our client testimonials include:
“Excellence in EVERY sense of the word! From the initial Consultation to the Hearings and Conclusion of the case, David McKenzie kept me extremely informed, aware of all possible outcomes and plays, and ultimately resolved my case with the best possible outcome, in my favor!” – Teresa Gibbs, former client
“David McKenzie was referred to us by a close friend and we could not have been happier with the results. David was professional, knowledgeable, effective and very family friendly. He made my son feel more at ease at a very stressful time. Would recommend him in a heartbeat.” – James George, parent of former client
These kinds of reviews matter. With so much at stake in your case, you deserve to know how we serve our theft crime clients in Reading. Rest assured that we do everything we can to help our clients move beyond their legal issues.
How Our Firm Can Assist You
A theft crimes lawyer from our firm will make your case their priority. We’ll take full control of the legal process, and can help you by:
- Seeking evidence that suggests your innocence
- Protecting you from prosecutors and others who may violate your rights
- Hiring experts to support your case
- Filing all paperwork and motions necessary for your case
- Negotiating a plea bargain, if it is appropriate in your case
- Taking your case to trial, if this is how your case unfolds
By hiring us, you won’t have to worry about your defense. McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. will handle it.
Defenses We May Use In Your Reading Theft Crimes Case
The Legal Information Institute (LII) defines theft as “the taking of another person’s personal property with the intent of depriving that person of the use of their property.” With this definition in mind, we may defend you by:
- Arguing that you did not take the item(s) you’re accused of taking
- Arguing that you only accidentally took an item
- Arguing that you always intended to return the item
- Making any other case that suggests your innocence, or gives reason for leniency
We will craft a defense that is specific to you and your legal circumstances.
Call McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Today To Discuss Your Theft Crimes Case
Don’t wait to retain a Reading theft crimes lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. The more time we have to craft your defense, the stronger the defense may be. Once you are signed on as a client we will gather evidence, statements, and any other material we need to get you the best possible outcome.
Get the legal process started today with one of our trusted lawyers. Delaying getting help will only make your case harder to proceed with and hurt your outcome. Call McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. today for your FREE consultation.