State and federal laws, as well as the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution, protect your right to bear arms. However, carrying a gun without a license could result in criminal charges.
If you are facing gun charges, a gun lawyer can help you understand your rights. A Reading gun lawyer with McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can advocate for you while you face gun charges. Our defense attorney can help you stand up against gun crime allegations and fight to protect your right to bear arms.
Our Reading Attorney Can Defend Against Gun-Related Charges
Your right to own a gun does not come without restrictions. For example, according to the Pennsylvania State Police, you must have the proper license to carry a concealed weapon. Furthermore, the U.S. Department of Justice outlines federal gun laws, which include restrictions on who can carry and possess firearms.
If you face state or federal gun charges, our Reading criminal defense lawyer may be able to represent you. Our firm can defend against charges involving:
- Unlawful use of a weapon
- Unlawful possession of a firearm
- Straw purchases (buying a gun for someone not legally allowed to own or carry a firearm)
- Possession of a defaced firearm
- State or federal application errors
- Concealed carry without a permit
- Gun-related crimes
Penalties for Reading Gun Crimes
According to 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 6108, you are allowed to publicly carry certain firearms in Pennsylvania, as long as you have a valid license that demonstrates you were approved to carry the gun. Carrying an unlicensed firearm, however, comes with consequences, per 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 6106.
Carrying a gun without the proper license may result in penalties such as:
- First-degree misdemeanor charges if you are qualified to carry in public, but are doing so without a license
- Third-degree felony charges if you are not eligible to obtain a license and still carried a gun in public
Depending on the specific charges you are facing and your criminal history, you could face up to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $25,000.
Why You Want to Work With a Gun Crimes Lawyer
Our Reading defense attorney can help you understand the penalties you might face for gun crimes. As a former criminal prosecutor, Attorney David C. McKenzie III has experience working with gun crimes cases like yours. He understands how to apply state and federal gun laws to your case. McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can:
- Collect and analyze evidence: We can gather case evidence, which may include police reports, mental health records, eyewitness statements, expert testimony, surveillance video, and more. If necessary, we can hire investigators and subject matter experts to assist with building your case. We will then examine the evidence and apply it to your defense.
- Fight to get charges reduced or dismissed: Our firm will look for evidence that may allow your charges to be dropped or reduced. For example, we may find that law enforcement did not have probable cause when searching your home or failed to read your Miranda Rights upon arrest.
- Fight to get you released on bail: Our lawyer can work to get you released on bail and fight to get your bail reduced.
- Negotiate on your behalf: We can work to achieve a fair plea agreement. Our team can defend you at trial if necessary.
You and your family are under enough stress. Let a legal professional worry about your case so you can focus on your life and your loved ones.
Our Reading Defense Team Can Support Your Case
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. can serve as your advocate as we guide you through every step of your gun case. Our team is here to answer all of your questions in a straightforward, easy-to-understand manner. We can explain your legal options, provide you with frequent case updates, and promptly return your phone calls and emails. When you contact our firm, someone is available 24/7 to take your call.
We Have an Award Winning Team of Defense Attorneys
Since 2010, McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. has strived to provide clients with excellent legal representation. Our accolades include:
- Rising Stars Super Lawyers Recognition
- AVVO’s highest rating of 10.0 Superb
- Named a Distinguished Top 40 Under 40 by the American Society of Legal Advocates
- American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys 10 Best Award in Client Satisfaction
Hear What Others Say About Working With Our Firm
We believe our clients’ testimonials speak to our commitment to service and seeking justice:
“Excellence in EVERY sense of the word! From the initial consultation to the hearings and conclusion of the case, David McKenzie kept me extremely informed, aware of all possible outcomes and plays, and ultimately resolved my case with the best possible outcome, in my favor! Hands down, he is the absolute BEST! If you are in need of a criminal attorney and your freedom in any way has been threatened, look no further! Thank you, David, for everything!” – Teresa Gibbs
“Nothing but good things to say about my experience with Attorney McKenzie. Being someone new to the legal process he always made himself available to answer any questions I had and made sure I was informed every step of the way. Thank you for everything!” – John Ludwig
Contact McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Today to See How Our Team Can Help Defend You
Reach out to McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. for a free consultation today to learn more about how our Reading gun lawyers can fight for you. Our team is available to answer your call 24/7 so we can get started on your case as soon as possible.