At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., criminal defense is all we do. Fighting your charges is our goal–protecting your rights is our duty. If you’ve been convicted of a gun crime in Reading, PA, we can stand by your side throughout your case. You’re entitled to legal representation and don’t need to face prosecutors alone.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Strives to Give Quality Representation
Fighting against your gun crime charges is our primary obligation. However, we’re also committed to providing services that demonstrate compassion and attention to detail. Working with our lawyer shouldn’t add unnecessary stress to your plate.
When you sign on as a client with our firm, you’ll receive access to our lead attorney’s phone number. This way, you’ll always be able to reach our team, allowing you to leave your sleepless nights and burning questions behind.
Don’t just take our word for it, though, this is what our previous criminal defense clients have said about working with McKenzie Law Firm, P.C:
- “McKenzie Law Firm was available for all our questions. Reassured us during our hearing. Was a true advocate for us. Would recommend him to everyone.” – Dana C.
- “David is an excellent attorney that got back to me very quickly with great legal counsel. Would highly recommend!” – Kelly R.
- “McKenzie is well versed in how the system works and what to expect. He was responsive and always available for questions and concerns.” – Len S.
Our Lead Attorney
Our firm was founded by attorney David C. McKenzie III. McKenzie only works in the realm of criminal defense law, meaning he’s familiar with the guidelines that make up Pennsylvania’s criminal code. Prior to founding our firm, McKenzie received a Juris Doctorate from Penn State Dickinson School of Law and worked as an Assistant District Attorney.
These are some of our firm’s notable accolades:
- Five-star review average on Google
- Avvo 10 out of 10 rating
- AV Preeminent rated
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
Your Gun Crime Defense Attorney Can Build a Strong Defense
Evidence is crucial to criminal defense cases, as it is the foundation for a legal team to build an argument. If you don’t gather thorough evidence, you may be unable to dismiss your charges or lessen your sentencing.
Building your case is a part of the services we provide. We can gather relevant evidence, which may include:
- Eyewitness statements
- Images or video from the scene of the crime
- Police reports
- Body camera footage
- Expert input
Gun Crime Plea Deal Negotiations
Most criminal cases are resolved before going to trial. To avoid trial, the defense team enters a plea deal, which involves the defendant pleading guilty to the crimes they’ve been charged with. At first, pleading guilty may sound counterintuitive. However, this process has several key benefits, including:
- Can reduce the amount of prison time or fines you receive
- Avoids trial completely
- Trials can be risky, expensive, and unpredictable
- Allows your lawyer to negotiate with prosecutors
Despite these potential benefits, we’ll never enter a plea deal without your consent. Typically, entering a plea deal makes sense when it’s clear that you’re going to receive a guilty verdict. This way, we could leverage a plea deal to reduce your sentencing. If you have questions or concerns about plea deals, our team can address them during an initial consultation.
Our Team Can Support You in the Process
When you work with our law firm, you get more than just a lawyer – you get a legal advisor, guide, and resource. These are some of the challenges our team can support you through:
- You don’t understand the specifics of your case: Gun crime laws and Pennsylvania state statutes are incredibly complex. To understand these laws, lawyers attend multiple years of schooling and must receive specific certifications. We’re here to make sure you understand the specifics of your gun crime charge, so you don’t face nasty surprises or make costly mistakes.
- Gun crime cases are high stakes: Certain gun crime charges can lead to a felony conviction. It’s best not to roll the dice with your case. Working with a gun crime lawyer could improve your chances of avoiding a conviction.
- You’re stressed out: Frantically learning the details of your charge so you know what’s happening around you can be very stressful. With us at your side, you won’t have to expend precious energy studying court proceedings. We’ll keep you updated and provide you with consistent legal explanations.
Common Types of Gun Crimes in Reading, PA
Our legal practice is broadly dedicated to criminal law. Within the narrower category of gun crimes, we work on a variety of case types, including:
- Minor in possession of a firearm
- Committing a crime with a firearm
- Stealing a firearm
- Altering firearm serial numbers
- Concealed carrying without a proper firearm license
There are many gun crimes not listed here. We can review the details of your case during an initial consultation to determine if we can work together.
Do All Gun Crime Charges Result in Prison Time?
Just because you’ve been charged with a gun crime doesn’t mean that you’ll go to jail or prison. A charge simply indicates that a district attorney believes they have enough evidence to argue for your conviction, but you still have the right to a fair trial.
If you’ve been charged, a gun crime lawyer from our firm could reduce your sentencing through a plea deal or outright dismiss your charges by:
- Arguing that certain pieces of evidence are inadmissible
- Suggest that law enforcement violated your rights
- Presenting evidence that suggests your innocence
The Details of Your Charges Impact Your Sentence
Similarly, gun crime charges have differing degrees of severity. For example, if you’re convicted of carrying a concealed firearm but have no previous criminal charges, you may only face a first-degree misdemeanor.
Therefore, your risk of going to prison hinges on these factors:
- The type of gun crime you’ve been charged with
- Whether or not you enter a plea bargain
- The evidence your lawyer provides during trial or negotiations
- Whether or not your charges are dismissed
We understand that facing prison time can cause a lot of anxiety. If you choose to work with our firm, we’ll bring a level-headed and calm energy to your case.
Secure Our Reading, PA Gun Crime Lawyer to Protect Your Rights
We proudly provide legal services to the local communities throughout Reading, PA. If you or a loved one were charged with a gun crime, don’t hesitate to contact our offices. We’re just one call away.