Federal crimes encompass many different categories of violations. For example, these cases can involve import/export crimes, conspiracy, counterfeiting, and tax crimes. Often, they fall into the “white collar” category and are leveled against those in a management position at a large company. While they are typically dealt with at the federal level, some federal crimes are charged as state crimes, as well.
If you have been charged with a federal crime, you can expect aggressive prosecution from federal attorneys. Those found guilty of federal crimes frequently face jail time or probation. The support of a Berks County federal crimes lawyer will help you navigate the complex litigation associated with these cases.
What Should I Do if I’ve Been Charged With a Federal Crime?
First, don’t hesitate to consider the benefits of a Berks County federal crimes lawyer. Time is of the essence here, even if federal investigations are typically lengthier.
If you seek legal advice, you’ll want to find a firm specializing in both federal crimes and criminal defense. Experience with and a proven track record in federal law is essential. Their expertise will offer insight into the coming litigation process.
How Can a Berks County Federal Crimes Lawyer Help Me?
Federal crimes law involves the investigation of an incredibly complex system of statutes and regulations. A firm with proven experience in federal crimes cases will navigate these codes to research and understand your specific situation. This investigation will include securing all documentation related to your case.
With these documents in hand, they can build your case and defend your rights by providing the following services:
- Helping you understand what information you should divulge to investigators
- Defending your rights in a court of law by arguing your case in front of a judge and jury
- Determining ways to challenge or nullify evidence being used against you
What Does it Cost to Hire a Lawyer?
Every federal crime case is different. Therefore, costs may vary depending on your case.
That said, at McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we offer free case evaluations and no hidden fees. We won’t surprise you with costs that we haven’t discussed and agreed upon together.
The McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. Difference
David McKenzie founded The McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., in 2010. His experience working in the field of law goes deep. He is the recipient of a Juris Doctorate degree from the Penn State University Dickinson School of Law.
In addition to this academic milestone, David McKenzie has worked as both a public and private attorney for years. This experience, combined with his position as a member of the Board of Commissioners for West Norriton Township, allows him to draw on both his years of expertise and legal network when dealing with criminal defense cases.
The positive experiences of our clients demonstrate the know-how behind our firm:
- “I would highly recommend David for any kind of legal advice and cases. While other try to scare you and sign up for a lawyer immediately, David on the other hand will hear you out and listen to your concerns. He takes his time to study your case and will give you an honest and concise opinion. Reaching/contacting him was never an issue !! Thank David for all your help.” – Umair Chaudhry
- “I unfortunately was in a position that required the services of a Professional Lawyer. After many phone calls I came across the McKenzie Law Firm, so I decided to make that one more phone call. After speaking to Mr. McKenzie himself I realized that his law firm was the way to go. He directed me with confidence through every step, assuring me along the way & easing my mind while also getting optimal results. He also worked with me in regards to payment, easily splitting up the payments to further ease my mind.” – Scott Fisher
Common Federal Crimes Cases in Berks County
There is a wide range of crimes that are prosecuted at the federal level. They can include the following:
- Wire fraud
- RICO Crimes
- Accounting fraud
- Weapons charges
- Drug trafficking
- Corporate crimes
This is not an exhaustive list of federal crimes. A criminal defense lawyer serving Berks Country can help you understand why or why not your case may be a federal crime.
What Are White Collar Crimes?
Many of the listed federal crimes are considered white-collar crimes. White-collar crimes are typically non-violent and take place in a corporate setting with the aim of securing illegal financial gains.
At the federal level, these crimes can include bank fraud, wire fraud, counterfeiting, and antitrust violations. These agencies typically investigate them:
- The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- The Federal Bureau Investigation (FBI)
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
As with any other federal crime, a Berks County federal crimes lawyer can help you understand your rights if you are facing a white-collar crime charge.
What Is a RICO Crime?
RICO stands for the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. This act was designed to bring legal action against organized crime syndicates.
As defined by the United States Department of Justice Archives, RICO cases necessitate the following legal proof:
- “That an enterprise existed”
- “That the enterprise affected interstate commerce”
- “That the defendant was associated with or employed by the enterprise”
- “That the defendant was engaged in a pattern of racketeering activity”
- “That the defendant conducted or participated in the conduct of the enterprise through the pattern of racketeering activity through commission of at least two acts of racketeering activity as set forth in the indictment”
In simple terms, for a case to be prosecuted under the RICO act, prosecutors must prove two things:
- A criminal organization engaging in racketeering existed.
- The defendant had extensive involvement in the organization’s racketeering operations.
McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., Is Here to Help
At McKenzie Law Firm, P.C., we pride ourselves on our open lines of communication with our clients. We are available to those we represent, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. David McKenzie keeps his email inbox and phone line open to those he’s working for their peace of mind.
Call today for a free consultation with our team and to hire a Berks County federal crimes lawyer.