Child pornography charges can lead not just to severe criminal penalties but stigma that may be greater than that caused by any other crime. Therefore, McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. will provide the defense you are entitled to.
Those facing charges as serious as yours should hire a Berks County child pornography lawyer. Regardless of the specifics of your charges, nothing less than your reputation—and your life—are on the line.
You Could Face State And Federal Charges For Child Pornography
Per the U.S. Department of Justice, federal law prohibits several specific acts related to child pornography. These prohibited acts include:
- Sexually exploiting a child
- Possessing child pornography
- Distributing child pornography
- Producing child pornography
- Selling or purchasing a child
- Receiving child pornography
- Certain other acts or offenses related to child pornography
Pennsylvania state law also prohibits the creation, possession, and distribution of child pornography. In addition, 18 Pa C.S.A. § 6312 details many of the same offenses that federal law prohibits. This includes the production, possession, and dissemination of child pornography.
Child pornography can include any photograph, video recording, or prohibited depiction of a person under 18. But, again, a defense lawyer can explain every detail of the charges against you.
Potential Criminal Penalties For Child Pornography Offenses
The U.S. Department of Justice notes that “convicted offenders face severe statutory penalties” for a child pornography-related offense. It notes that a conviction for transporting child pornography can carry a sentence of five to 20 years in prison. A conviction for producing child pornography can carry a penalty of 15 to 30 years in prison.
Whatever the nature of your charges, and whether you are facing those charges from the state or federal government, expect stiff penalties for a conviction. Your potential penalties may include:
- Jail time
- Prison time
- Parole upon being released from custody
- Restriction on where you can live, work and carry out other aspects of your life
Per the Pennsylvania Sexual Offenders Assessment Board (SOAB), you may have to register as a sexual offender for 15 years, 25 years, or life.
For crimes of a sexual nature, the legal penalties are only one type of penalty you will face. The punishments you could face from society may be just as harsh as those that the legal system imposes.
Additional Consequences Of A Child Pornography Conviction In Berks County
Crimes against children cause a stigma that is unparalleled in the criminal justice system. In addition to the legal penalties that you are facing, a conviction may also:
- Put you in physical danger: Those accused of harming children can face verbal or even physical assaults from other parties. Being branded as a threat to children might be enough to put you at risk, even if you did not commit the offenses you have been accused of.
- Ruin personal relationships: Friends, family, and colleagues may have little empathy for you after a child pornography conviction in Berks County. If these people abandon you, you will lose the companionship, guidance, comfort, or other benefits they once provided you.
- Restrict where you can live and work: Depending on the conditions of your registration as a sexual offender, you could be restricted from living near a school, playground, park, or another area typically populated by children. You could also face discrimination from those who provide housing and employment.
- Affect potential romantic relationships: Potential romantic partners may not tolerate a conviction for a crime against children. As a result, you could have great difficulty finding romantic partners, especially in an age when criminal records are widely available online.
- Harm every aspect of your life: The toll of your child pornography conviction can pervade every segment of your life. You could experience mental health struggles, substance abuse, and other outcomes resulting from stress, shame, or other conviction-related hardship.
There is only one way to avoid these convictions or minimize their effects on your life. Hire a Berks County child pornography attorney from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. today. We will defend you passionately, knowing what is at stake should you suffer a conviction.
How A Child Pornography Defense Lawyer Can Assist You
Our team will provide the strongest defense that we possibly can. Defending those accused of child pornography offenses in Berks County generally requires:
- Gathering all of the relevant facts in your case
- Determining which evidence has led the state, or federal government, to pursue criminal charges against you
- Conducting our investigation and gathering any exculpatory evidence or witness accounts
- Negotiating with prosecutors, exploring the possibility of a plea agreement
- Defending your rights throughout the legal process
We might need to take your case to trial, seeking a not-guilty verdict to clear your name. The facts of every case differ, and we will tailor our plan to your unique circumstances.
Defenses We Might Use In Your Child Pornography Case
The defense we use will, again, depend on the facts of your case. We may argue that:
- You did not commit the offense you have been accused of
- You did not intentionally commit the crime you have been accused of
- Someone deliberately placed you at risk of committing an offense
- You made a mistake and are seeking leniency for your error
Everyone accused of a criminal offense deserves a capable legal defense. Accordingly, we will provide the defense you are entitled to.
Why Trust Our Law Firm For Your Criminal Defense?
Attorney David McKenzie is a former prosecutor. He understands the thought process that prosecutors use and what motivates those prosecutors. He will use this experience to seek the best possible outcome for your case.
We will be active and available throughout your defense. When you need to reach your lawyer or their team, you will be able to.
Discuss Your Charges With A Berks County Child Pornography Attorney Today
There is no time to delay if you have been charged with a child pornography offense in Berks County. A lawyer from McKenzie Law Firm, P.C. will immediately begin crafting your defense.
Call today to discuss how we can help you. So much is at stake, and you deserve a Berks County child pornography lawyer who cares. Rely on David McKenzie and his team to fight for you.